Friday, September 3, 2010

Dear Diary:


I recently bought a year-long ticket to the Berlin Digital Concert Hall, which allowed me to watch select concerts live this season. The real treasure, however, is the total access to their archives, which houses some amazing performances by the orchestra since the Digital Concert Hall's inception back in 2008. On this particular night, I chose to listen to Sir Simon Rattle conduct Brahms Symphony No.2, one of the favorite pieces I performed with the UC Berkeley Symphony Orchestra. Halfway through, I began thinking about what other pieces I found to be particularly memorable during my five year tenure, which made me realize I played A TON of repertoire in UCBSO, UC Berkeley Chamber Orchestra, and UC Berkeley Summer Symphony. So below are my top favorite performances took place in UCBSO, in no particular order.

1) Brahms Symphony No.2
This piece concluded the first concert where I led the section as the designated Principal Violist and marked the first time where I felt everyone in the viola section play as one organic whole. I came into the new season nervously confident; I knew my three years of hard work has trained me for this occasion, but one never truly knows how things pan out until it does. I was blessed to have one of the sweetest group of violas ever. Self-motivated, hard-working, and always having fun, the 2008-2009 section helped me transition from section member to leader. For those who were in the viola section that year and are reading this, I thank you.

1st Movement, October 11, 2008, UCBSO, David Milnes

2) Beethoven Symphony No.7
This was, hands-down, the performance where I had the most fun. Having played this symphony back in my days at PACO (Palo Alto Chamber Orchestra) on second violin, I was excited to play my favorite symphony again on viola. While other performances has had its moments, nothing since then has come close to matching the pure electric energy given off by the orchestra. The symphony is dubbed as the "apotheosis of dance" and the orchestra have fed off rhythmic morsels gluttonously.

3rd Movement, October 27, 2007, UCBSO, David Milnes

3) Lutoslawski Concerto for Orchestra
My scariest performance ever. I was sitting Assistant Principal at the time and my stand partner informed me the week before the performance that he accidentally double-booked and couldn't make it to the concert. The program? Britten Sinfonia di Requiem, Lutoslawski Concerto for Orchestra, and Elgar Enigma Variations. Within a week, I had to learn the prominent viola solos in each of those pieces, relearn the upper line for divisi passages, and prep myself mentally to lead the section. While I was expecting my debut concert as Principal to be something less of a "trial by fire", the confidence boost I received after pulling it off under pressure was invaluable.

1st Movement, October 15, 2006, UCBSO, David Milnes



4) Schnittke Cello Concerto No.1 (Gabriel Trop, soloist)
I love Schnittke's music and as Gabe "The Beast" Trop said, "When are you ever going to perform this piece again?" Gabe absolutely tore the music apart, giving a gritty and intense reading of the concerto. Even the orchestra, who are adverse to modern music at times, enjoyed the polystylism and macabre quality of Schnittke's style. Most surprising, however, was the audience's reaction; the general public usually greet "new" music with tepid applause, more out of courtesy than enthusiasm, but they gave rousing ovations for both performances Gabe gave.

3rd Movement, March 19, 2008, UCBSO, David Milnes

5) Mahler Symphony No.5
While the previous four are listed in no particular order, I can say that this is, without a doubt, my favorite performance with UCBSO. This piece ended the 2008-2009 season. The viola section and orchestra as a whole all came together, showcasing the bonds and trust we developed with one another and the results of our efforts throughout the year. I was especially proud of all the hard work my viola-mates put in. I was an absolute slave driver in sectionals; I held five sectionals in the span of eight rehearsals and pushed them to the limits technically and musically. For the ninth and last rehearsal, I gave them the option of resting or holding one last sectional to tighten up our playing before the big night. They unanimously chose the latter. The result were two performances that I will never forget.

2nd Movement, May 9, 2009, UCBSO, David Milnes

Honorable Mentions:
Bruckner Symphony No.8
Mahler Symphony No.5
Prokofiev Symphony No.5
Prokofiev Symphony No.6
Stravinsky The Rite of Spring

1 comment:

  1. schnittke was the last thing i expected to like, but it ended up being one of my favorite performances, too :)

    ReplyDelete